Monday, April 14, 2008

A Fresh Perspective

I went to Deseret Book's Time Out for Women series in Fresno this weekend. Don't have time for a whole blog right now (I'll get to it later), but one of the speakers talked about that nagging feeling mother's get (she called it "motherguilt") that you're never doing enough and that everything that goes wrong is somehow your fault.  How true!! She gave a little version of Matthew 25:35-36 & 40 that she recites to herself when that feeling gets her down.

I was an hungred. . . .and you woke up in the middle of the night to nurse me.
I was thirsty. . . .and you dropped everything to give me a sippy cup of milk.
I was naked. . . .and you did mountains and mountains of laundry so I had fresh clean clothes to wear.
I was sick. . .and you sat by my bed all night.
I was a prisoner. . .and you passed through the valley of the shadow of death to give me a body and bring me into this world.

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the [littlest] of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.


At the end of the day, I have never finished everything on my to do list and sometimes feel like I haven't been the servant I ought to be.  I was grateful to be reminded that while all the rest of the service I do or am capable of is vastly important, none of it is ever more important than the service given and the lessons taught within the walls of my own home.

No comments: