Friday, April 18, 2008

A Tale of Six Kitties

The couple that we bought our house from are very nice people who had four adorable children when they lived here.  There was a stray white cat who wandered around the bushes outside.  Just a few months before they moved, she was obviously pregnant and they kept leaving food out for her, closer and closer to the garage, hoping that she might come have her babies in there where it was warm and safe.  Alas, they never succeeded.

We would see this cat occasionally on our way to our car (and Dylan would squeal with delight and chase her), but she was always shy and wouldn't come close.  Last November, we gave away our great big dog and since then the little white cat has been venturing regularly into our backyard.  So we have fed her three or four times and she has ever so gradually become more friendly.  

Then I thought perhaps the extra meals at our house were too generous, as she seemed to be getting fat.  It didn't take us long to realize that she wasn't fat, but was in fact pregnant again.  She was even letting Dylan pick her up at this point, though I'm not sure if that was because of increased friendliness of decreased ability to make a quick getaway due to her large pregnant tummy.

A few days ago, I saw her in the backyard, meowing and begging, obviously no longer pregnant and then that night I could hear new kittens meowing outside.  While my kids were napping I went outside to see if I could find them, but was unsuccessful.

So yesterday, I left the back door (that opens into our garage) open so that Keilana could ride her tricycle on the back patio while I cleaned the kitchen.  I opened the door from the house to the garage, and saw the cat running out of our garage--venturing inside was new for her.  I didn't think much of it at the time.

Last night I was in skirt and dress shirt and heels, headed out the door for a meeting when, passing through the garage, I heard the distinct meowing of young kittens.  I followed the sound until I found them--a pile of at least five very young kittens--behind my washing machine.  She had moved her entire litter into the comfortable warmth of my garage.

So would anyone like a cat?  They are only a few days old, so it will be several weeks before they're ready to go anywhere.  I don't know the genders yet, but almost all of them are white with orange patches, and there is at least one calico (though I may keep her for myself).  But the other four (or five or six, I'm not completely certain yet) must find homes eventually.  Please take one!!  

Either that or I'll just show up at church with a box full of kittens and have all the little kids fall in love with them and thus make their parents look like jerks if they don't take one.  Mwhahaha! I'm so crafty.

No comments: