Thursday, August 1, 2013

Too clever by half. . .

Keira is pretty verbal.  At not quite 2 1/2, even strangers usually understand everything she says.  Most of the time, this is really nice: her being able to communicate clearly prevents a lot of frustration for all of us, and her speech and understanding makes teaching discipline relatively easy.

But sometimes she uses her precocity against us.  When we were at my mom's house, she was eating dinner at the table one night while I was sitting in the living room.  She came and asked me for a popsicle, so naturally I asked if she ate her whole quesadilla.  She thought for just a moment, and then responded with a smile, "I'm done with my quesadilla."  This was an answer she thought would satisfy me, and skirted actually answering the question I asked.

She's also been using a rather amusing, if a bit frustrating, avoidance technique lately.  We saw Despicable Me 2 while we were in Utah, and all the kids loved the part where the minions are repetitively saying, "Beedo, beedo, beedo".  The last couple of weeks, any time I ask Keira a question that she doesn't want to answer, she suddenly transforms into a minion and can't answer me in English. "Keira, would you please let Dylan take a turn?"
"Beedo beedo beedo"
"Keira, can you share with Kylie please?"
"Beedo beedo beedo".

I can't decide if her cleverness on this front is cute or worrisome.

1 comment:

Kaytee Postma said...

I'm sorry...that's hilarious!!! I don't think I could keep from laughing every time my kid did that! Especially the little one with her little cartoon voice!