Wednesday, November 18, 2009

What I'm really grateful for, part 3

Sam: How many people can say they're still close with and adore their best friend from kindergarten? We haven't lived anywhere near each other since graduating from high school 7 years ago, but we've stayed close to each other's hearts. Her surprising me by showing up for my wedding reception (when I thought she was still in Alaska) and being able to be there for her Endowment and sealing are two of the best memories of my life, ever. It is such a joy and a comfort to have a friend in life that, no matter how far apart you live or how long its been since you've seen or talked to them, you can always pick up right where you left off without missing a beat. I only wish we lived closer--sometimes Utah seems terribly far away. I'm grateful that even if the Lord didn't make us sisters, he sent us to the same place at the same time so we could find each other. She feels like a sister.

Angie (and Kindon): I have chronic-out-of-placeness syndrome (really, can we classify it as a disease so I have an excuse for my awkward self-consciousness?), and I felt at home and at ease with her (them) from the first time I met her (and him). That says a great deal more about her (them) than it does me. They are two of the most generous-hearted people I know, so patient and honest. I can be honest and unguarded with them, trusting that we usually agree and when we don't they won't mind. They're in on all our secrets and our struggles, and love us wonderfully well anyway. They've regularly taken the time to express kind thoughts to me and are ever mindful of me. Everyone should be so lucky to have those friends who seem to magically pop up the second you need them most. They are both kind without ever being syrupy or fake. Kindon is a very kind and loyal friend to Doug and has helped him through many rough days. And that makes my life a lot better.

Emily: She is thoughtful, kind, generous, non-confrontational, emotional, hardworking and unselfish. What's not to be thankful for? She immediately reached out to me when she moved into the ward, was the best counselor you could possibly imagine for Young Women's and stays service-oriented despite the fact that she has five kids (including a very high needs autistic daughter) and her husband works an insane amount of hours. But she's always looking outside herself, always striving to be a good friend, to magnify her callings and to reach out to people she sees who are struggling. She's been an amazing support to me (and Clint has been a great support to Doug), and she and her husband have been a great friend to Brad, through all the family drama. They are my heroes, for so many reasons.

Karen: Whatever's going on, whatever mood I'm in, Karen can make me laugh. She's outgoing and friendly, comfortable and socially graceful. A couple of well-timed hugs from her, or an arm around my shoulders, have been instant sanity savers at exactly the right moment lately. She's happily babysat my kids for me on multiple occasions (a favor I've yet to repay), but it was never a big deal, always insisting they are a ball and she's happy to have them (of course, with the way Sethy and Keilana love each other, and the hilarious dynamic duo that is Dylan and Lulu, I imagine that's true). And she's got red hair. We all know I have a serious soft spot for the reds.

Beatriz: She is always the most surprising example in my life. She's come so far, and she never, ever quits. On Sunday, she expressed frustration to me about something that was going on (that didn't have anything to do with me), and boy howdy did I ever agree with her. Yet she called me back the next day to apologize and say that she should've held her tongue and needs to be a better, more patient and loving friend to the individual of concern. Color me repentant. She does things like that all the time. She is one of the most humble and sincere seekers of truth I've ever known. And I love her girls--I'm grateful she shares them with me a little bit.

1 comment:

Sam and Kurtis said...

I know what you mean about utah being so far away. Sometimes i just wish you guys lived closer. But i'm very glad that i always get to see you when you come through. Love ya