Saturday, July 24, 2010

I'm getting callous

Today, on the way home from the fountains, I was holding Dylan's and Kylie's hands, Kylie was holding Clayton's, Clayton was holding Claire's and Claire was holding Keilana's, so that we formed this little human chain. The kids all thought it was terribly funny (I'm not sure why, since my three are quite used to this tactic--I use it a lot).

Anyway, Clayton looks at his sister and says, "My baby's so cute!" and I said, "They're all pretty cute."

"Am I cute?" he asked, quite obviously expecting some head-petting.

"Not really," I replied, "You've kinda hit that point where its all downhill and you just get weirder and weirder until you turn into an awkward adolescent."

Whoa. Did I just really say that out loud to a 6 year old? I did.

Clayton, confident as always that he would get the answer he wanted, had completely stopped listening and was happily bumbling on into the house to turn the TV on, since I told them that they could watch a movie when we got back.

Every once in a while, I'm grateful that that kid doesn't listen to a word I say.

No comments: