Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Oh give thanks

Those of you who are regular perusers of my blog know that I have a habit of semi-regularly publishing lists of things for which I'm thankful.

I take time frequently to count my blessings (quite literally), because I have found that gratitude for all the wonderful little and big things that make up my life lead to more gratitude for the Lord.  As I become more grateful for the Lord and His constant hand in my life, for all his tender mercies and bounteous generosities, the more I love Him; the more I love the people in my life; the more I love myself the way that I should.  I firmly believe that gratitude is the surest path to a plethora of other virtues.

Inevitably, when I make my lists there's a lot "stuff" on them--things.  But time after time what I am the most grateful for are people.  My life is filled with so many glorious, wonderful people.

I taught a lesson for the girls on gratitude this week.  I had them read only one scripture:  ". . . .Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy heart and with all my soul, and with all thy mind.  This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." (Matt 22:37-39).  The Savior Himself said that everything else hinged on those two commandments.  Without that love, the rest is meaningless.

I have three great loves in my life (soon to be four!) who I simply cannot imagine life without.  And I know that whatever comes in this life, I will never be truly separated from them.  We are bound eternally by stronger bonds than man can imagine.  This Thanksgiving, it is that sealing power for which I am most grateful.

People make many, many mistakes.  Mothers and fathers, husbands and wives, wayward children--we all mess up.  But if I understand the promises of the sealing ordinances correctly, as long as there are people in that family circle, within the bonds of that seal, are striving for righteousness, it is nearly impossible to separate them.  How often do we benefit, not just temporally, but eternally, from the righteousness of our loved ones?  

My patriarchal blessing stated that through my marriage, I would be able to bring children into the world with whom I would form bonds that would last throughout all eternity.  As I have come to know these wonderful spirits better, my appreciation for who they are and what they can be has only increased, and I am anxious to get to know our newest addition.  Before you have a baby, it is hard to imagine who they will be and how they will change your life.  After you have one, its hard to imagine how you ever enjoyed life without them.

This year, as I look into the adorable faces of my strawberry-blonde babes and imagine what their little sister will look like, and as I snuggle up to my husband in all my round-bellied discomfort, I am most grateful for love that lasts forever--and the opportunity to enjoy it right now.

No comments: