Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Phase I Complete

I probably won't get around to pictures until we get home, but I thought I'd let ya'll know that we've arrived safely in Montana, despite the fact that we still haven't replaced our tires.

We left Lindsay early Wednesday morning (6:30ish). We thought we were going to have to leave Thursday, as Doug was helping Scot finish a grant last week, but instead we ended up taking the laptop in the car and he dictated to me while he drove. By the end of the day Wednesday we were able to use a wireless connection at a Death Valley visitor's center to send Scot the pages of the grant that we were typing.

We made a stop at at a Death Valley visitor's center/museum in Ridgecrest mid-morning on Wednesday, and it was actually a really cool little museum. The had different insect wings under a giant microscope and little feel-through-the-hole-and-guess-what-it-is boxes. It was kind of fun to make a stop at a museum and have kids old enough that they actually really enjoyed it.

We spent most of the day driving, with little pit stops here and there, until we reached Scotty's Castle (on the opposite side of Death Valley) in the late afternoon. We opted not to do the formal tour (it takes an hour and most of the other visitors were oldish yuppies who kept giving us that look--you know the you're-young-and-have-lots-of-children-and-are-invading-my-world look), but we walked all around the awesome house and grounds played on the grass, and had a yummy dinner picnic. The kids did great all day, I must say. They were happy and were real troopers with the long hours in the car. Playing at Scotty's Castle reminded me that if I'm ever wealthy, I'd like to have a hacienda.

We drove about an hour to Furnace Creek, where the campground was (and a resort and more oldish richish yuppies giving dirty looks). We've decided that we definitely need to make some time for long weekend trips to Death Valley. Fascinating place, and strangely beautiful. The kids were quite happy about camping and excited about our new tent. Dylan kept climbing all over the tree and picnic table and pretending he was a kung-fu tiger. That whole first day we listened to the kids take turns singing--Child #1: "I like to move it move it, I like to move it move it, I like to move it move it, I like ttoooooo. . . ." Child #2: "MOVE IT!"

The next morning we drove from Death Valley to Zion's National Park. We came into Vegas from a different direction, through Pahrump. Seriously, people, who lives in these towns? Worse yet, who names them? Anyway, we of course stopped at Bass Pro Shops outside of Vegas. The munchkins fed the fish and marveled at the coolness of the bathrooms. There was much oohing and ahhing, and a few Moon Pies for the road. We arrived in Zion's at about sunset, and it was gorgeous. All the orange and red hills were all lit up with long shadows. Ooooohhh, pretty. Doug stopped and set up the tripod on the way in, hopefully we'll have some pretty photos to share! We set up our tent in an increasingly windy, cold, dark night and Daddy made everyone chili dogs and hot chocolate to warm our cold bones. We had planned on staying a second night in Zion's, but it was pretty cold when we woke up and the weather reports warned of possible snow, so we thought better of it and broke camp. Its a good thing we decided to do so-by the time our tent was down, it was raining pretty good (we have not yet bought a ground tarp for our new tent, or that wouldn't have been such a big deal). So we drove through the park rather than explore much on foot. There is a mile long tunnel through the mountain that is pretty darned cool--do give it a try if you're ever in the area.

We decided to head up to Jen and Paul's that day. Our only real stop along the way was Cove Fort. It was a fort along the westward path that was established by President Hinkley's grandfather. Very cool place. I have mad respect for pioneer women. She had 11 children, so she cooked, cleaned and did laundry for them every day, and almost every day she did the same for multiple guests--all without the conveniences of washing machines, dishwashers, store-bought soap and detergents, refrigerators, etc. I can't even imagine. Props, Sister Hinkley, mad props.

Keilana and Dylan LOVED spending time with their cousins Ben and Ryan. Want to know how I know? I spent the entire first half of the day doing laundry, organizing luggage, etc., paying no attention whatever to my kids, and I scarcely heard or saw any of them all day:) When I came up stairs that morning (all the kids woke up before all the grown-ups in the house), Ben, Ryan and Dylan were sitting in the middle of the floor in a circle, as Keilana walked around them saying, "Duck, duck, duck. . . ." She was definitely the ring leader all day and all four of them just had a great time the entire time we were in Utah.

Saturday evening while the boys went to Priesthood Session in the conference center, the kids and I went up and spent the evening at Sam's house. I love her new house--so cute. She's decorated it so nicely, too. If you'd told me 10 years ago that Sam was the one of us that would end up the Utah stay-at-home mom in the BYU sweatshirt, I'd have laughed you out of the room. She chose a good husband, too--I really like Kurtis (and suspect he may actually be Jewish). Kyler is SO CUTE!! He's such a perfect mix of the two of them. He's walking already and before we went home he decided we were friends and I got to see a bit of his sly grin. Love it. He is only 10 months, and so has no concept of property laws beyond "Its mine!" which unfortunately my 3 year old son who should know better didn't take kindly too. :) He's got a great little laugh and is very clever. I wish Sam lived closer to me. Or I lived closer to her. We'll have to work on that.

Sunday morning Melissa watched our kids for us (thanks again so much Lis!!) while we went to the morning session of conference at the Conference Center. I loved it and would love to do it again some day. I loved all of the talks in the session we attended, but was particularly struck by Elder Holland's. It truly inspired me and then put me properly in my place (more on that later--or not. Don't know how willing I am to share hahaha). We went back to Melissa and Nate's apartment afterward. I'm afraid I wasn't a very good guest, as I felt sick most of the day :(, but they made us some yummy BBQ. Clark is a most adorable baby, so full of smiles. He's just a happy little guy with such a great grin. It'll be fun to see him and Alexa together, since they're both so smiley!

Monday we did the marathon drive. We met up with Bryce, a friend of Doug's (they worked together in Lindsay a few summers ago), for lunch in Salt Lake and then hit the road. We stopped to gas up the car in Logan and then drove. We did not stop again, at all, until we hit Missoula. Five and a half hours later. The baby was very upset (she hates her carseat on a good day) and Doug really had to pee, and the gas light had been on for 30 miles when we hit the Van Buren St. exit, but by golly we did it. Then I nursed Kylie and we bought dinner for the rest of us (boy was Dylan excited to have some chicken nuggets and chocolate milk) before continuing on for our last hour of driving to mom and dad's house.

We got here about 9:30 last night, and talked to Mom and Christina and Eldon for a while. Dad emerged from his office (he'd been on the phone) at about 11:00pm, and he and Doug (oh, these two agree on far too many things) talked (commiserated?) about the state of world affairs and the demise of America as we know it and things of that nature until about 2am. Dad has decided his primary purpose in life is to be candid. I think he may be right. :)

Anyway, we've been hanging out at Yaya's house in the glorious sunny mid-60s weather today, and may take off to see some cousins this afternoon after Daddy finishes some homework. We saw a very pregnant aunt Gwen this afternoon, who brought down one of her classes to identify trees this afternoon. She looks ready to pop. Her due date isn't til the 19th, but maybe she'll surprise us and have the baby before we leave:)

4 comments:

Callie said...

Wow, you have had quite the adventure!!! I am so jealous that you are up there enjoying the beauty of MT. Sigh...I'll be there soon. I'll be there soon. Although, with my luck, they'll get another blizzard and we'll freeze to death! Burr! I am sooo not used to the cold anymore. Enjoy the time with your family!

Christa said...

Hahaha, Keith has been singing "I like to move it, move it" too quite a bit. Funny kids. Sounds like you've had quite the adventure, glad you made it okay. Enjoy your time there! I'm just a little jealous!

Sam and Kurtis said...

I sing you like to move it move it all the time! :-)If you haven't seen the new madagascar you need to see it if not for anything but for the hippo song. " I like em big, i like em chunky, I like round, i like em plumpy, plumpy." its great.
You made it to missoula in 5 1/2 hours? you must have been flying.
Yeah i would have never guessed i'd be here either i tell kurtis that alllll the time. lol.
Hoping to see you on your way back down. Have fun up there enjoy the weather while its here.

Kfrogdiva said...

What adventures! I am afraid when we leave home, we get so focused on the destination that we forget to enjoy the journey there! Constant theme in my life! Invitation to Mallory's baptism is in the mail, so we hope to see you then, but would love to get our families together soon to do something fun!