Saturday, August 4, 2012

To My Children

A couple of months ago I was in a meeting where we were given a piece of paper and a pen and told to imagine that we knew we only had 3 minutes left, to imagine to whom we would write and what we would say.

It was easy for me. I immediately knew who I wanted to write to and what I wanted to tell them.  I remembered a time many years ago when a loved one went very off course and, very contrary to my normal behavior, I offered my two cents--unsolicited.  I kept it very brief and to the point, but I told her that the only reason I said anything at all was because I was a mother.  She chose a very different course than the one her mother, who died when this girl was very young, had chosen.  I thought of some of the more difficult choices I have made over the years to ensure that my kids had certain things in their life that had lacked in my own.  I thought of all of the choices I have made to try to give my children the best possible chance of having genuine joy.  I imagined what it would be like to watch from the other side, unable to shake some sense into that child and say, passionately, "This isn't what I wanted for you!"  As a mother, I couldn't not say something.

As we went about this task in class, I remembered that experience, and realized that I don't want there to be any question in my children's minds what is important to me and what I want for them, so I thought I would share here what I wrote with my three minutes.

Love each other:  muster every bit of kindness, forgiveness, patience and thoughtfulness that you can for each other.  Other people will come into your lives, but you will continue to need each other, and to understand each other, in a way that few other people ever will.  Listen to your dad.  He wants the best for you and loves you more than you can possibly understand right now.  Nothing is more important to him than you:  he dotes on you, and he will need your hugs now more than ever.  Go to church with him every week, and pay close attention to what is taught in primary, and Young Women and Priesthood.  Pay attention to what your daddy says--he is knowledgeable and insightful and will be a wonderful guide for you.  Get ready for baptism, and never take your eyes off the temple as your goal.  Do all that you can to be worthy of temple blessings.  Nothing--nothing, nothing, nothing--will ever bring you as much joy as the forever family you form in the temple, so long as you continue to selflessly serve that family.  So be picky--be careful in your choices of those whom you date, and then trust the Spirit in guiding you in choosing a companion.  The Lord knows what he's doing.  So please, please, pray often and read your scriptures so that you can get to know him, so that you will know and recognize his voice.  He loves you, even more than I do.  He lives and will take your hand and guide you home.  Learn as much as you can, about as many things as you can and think hard and seriously about the decisions that you make, but when it comes right down to it, trust in God, not your own understanding.  I love you so, so much.

No comments: