Friday, September 14, 2012

When Little Ones Hurt

The last two weeks, Keilana has made a lot of new friends, but has talked the most about one in particular.  They have the same birthday, as luck would have it, and have been calling each other "twin sissies", even convincing another girl that they really were sisters.

That little girl ended up leaving school early this morning after learning that her mom had died in a car accident last night.  I can only imagine how terribly broken her little heart must be.  If my mom had died when I was 8, I would've been nearly certain that the world had ended.  I want to do something for her, but what?

I thought of my Grandma's reaction, not long after her daughter was killed, to my sister-in-law, who had gone to Grandma's house and busied herself cleaning and ordering and cooking, and finally asking, "Can I do anything else?"  Grandma responded, "You can bring Laura back."  Acknowledging at once that nobody could do anything--it was unfixable--but that she loved you for wanting to.

Some things that happen in our lives cannot be fixed, we just have to do our best to find a new normal. Easier said than done. Especially when you're only 8.

No comments: