Thursday, September 19, 2013

Aromatherapy

I know there are certain scents that are supposed to have specific effects on our psyche, but I've never had much luck with the studied aromatherapy doing much for me.

However, I had to light the pilot on our heater today (it was cold enough that I couldn't get either of the little girls to want to do anything but sit in their jammies under a blanket), and having the heater on for the first time in months was oddly calming.

Then I remembered that the scents that always make me feel like everything is going to be OK are old heaters, wood smoke, slightly damp leaves and soil, and coniferous forest.  Any of those smells, and I instantly feel at ease and comfortable in the world.

There are lots of happy, secure, contented memories with those smells hanging in the background.

I'm excited for fall.

No comments: