Thursday, March 27, 2014

Slacker, slacker

So, I never got up any photos/writing about Keira's birthday.  Or Dylan's.  Or spring break.  And now I'm back in school, and should probably be doing statistics homework instead of this.  Truth is, I never even got photos imported into the computer, much less uploaded here.  Maybe I'll get to all of it around Keilana's birthday.

Its been a long few months.  Lots of extended family in and out of the hospital, lots of heartbreak for others, a couple of unexpected losses, and lots of schoolwork for me, schoolwork for kids, wrestling practices, skiing trips, church activities, slightly oppressive weather, instrument practice, chores, errands, meetings, projects and deadlines.  I'll admit, there's been more than one occasion where I was tempted to quit everything and be homeschooling subsistence farmers.  It sounds sort of awesome, actually.  And we aren't even to the hard part yet--there's nary a teenager to be found around here.  But its been pretty tiring nonetheless.

I am ready for sunshine.  The kids are definitely ready for sunshine.  I'm ready for homework to end and to stop commuting four days a week.  All things considered, the semester (and the year) have gone pretty smoothly.  But I have five weeks left--I just have to focus for five more weeks--and the classes will be done, nursing school application will be finished, the sun will (most likely) be shining and the snow all gone, I'll get a new tire for my stroller and I'll find my camera again, and my journal, and my blog.  Multiple weeks have gone by where I haven't written anything other than lab reports and probability statements.  Whole months have gone by where I never even took my camera out of its bag.  I used to spend so much time documenting my kids and just being outside with them.  But they have school, and I have school, and everything is busy and we're cooped up in this house too often and, even though I have prayed and prayed and always felt at peace with our decisions right now, sometimes I feel like I can literally watch my time with them slipping away, without even documenting it to help me remember when its gone.  My baby is 3, and my oldest is skiing and playing violin and starting to think of her bike like a car ("Hey, if mom would let me, I could get anywhere on this thing!").  I love watching them grow up and I certainly wouldn't have them stop or slow down.  But I do sometimes wish that I could slow down and soak it up a little more.

Five more weeks.  And then 3 1/2 glorious months where the only things on my plate are a massive family reunion (but really, for as many people as we have involved, its pretty low-key), and being a mom.  I wish we had more time/money to go visiting family this summer, but I'm afraid we have a few things coming up that are going to sap a good chunk of our summer budget, so we'll see.  Maybe next summer we can see California again, but hopefully we'll at least cross paths with some of them at baptisms in other places.

Five more weeks.  Then I promise--really, truly--to be here more often.

1 comment:

Kaytee Postma said...

5 weeks will be over before you know it!