Monday, September 8, 2014

Better than date night. . .

Last night, we did the back-to-school father's blessings.  The kids actually started last week, but after two really full, really draining weeks for which we weren't entirely prepared, we just weren't quite ready.  But this week was Fast Sunday, and we'd had some time to get on routine and catch up, so before bed we gathered our littles in the front room, said a family prayer, and then, starting with the oldest, Daddy gave each unique, wonderful little person we've been blessed with a blessing one at a time, telling them what the Lord wanted them to know for the upcoming year.

I never love my husband more than in moments like this:  moments where his tenderness for his children is evident, where his devotion to passing onto them all the good things with which he's been blessed really shines through.  Their blessings are theirs to keep and treasure and remember, and so I don't share the details with the world.  But there was much talk of reading, loving to read, learning through reading; bravery, courage, determination; and, as always, many reminders of love, and of how well both their earthly father and their Heavenly Father know them, and are paying attention to what they want, what they need, the wonderful strengths they've been blessed with, and the challenges that are their opportunity to work through.

Lastly, Doug laid his hands on my head and gave me a blessing.  I have often felt a bit like I was running on empty lately.  I perpetually feel like I'm playing catch-up, both emotionally and in a practical to-do list kind of way.  My blessing hit on every reassurance I needed, quelled every insecurity about the number of balls I'm trying to keep in the air right now, and put my mind thoroughly at ease over other challenges we know full well are on the very near horizon.  We haven't been on a date in nearly 4 months, and all at once that didn't seem like such a problem.

This year is going to be full of several new adventures, and some new challenges. But I'm grateful to have a companion and children who make me feel confident that we can meet those challenges, rise to the occasion, and keep smiling through it all.

No comments: