Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Becky Theorizes

So I've decided that in the premortal existence you don't have to be built like Mary Lou Retton to be a gymnast.  Instead, you are divided into weight classes, like boxing: lightweight gymnasts, welter weight gymnasts and, of course, heavy weight.  And Kylie was apparently a heavy weight gymnast before landing here.

This child, ugh.  Don't get me wrong, she's a delight.  I wouldn't dare say any one of my children was a favorite, but she'd definitely be in the running if I did.  But oy vey, girl, slow down.  She was "sitting up" for several seconds at a time and rolling from her back to her tummy at 3 months;  she was sitting up solidly (including catching herself with her ab muscles when she started to tip) at 4 months;  she was crawling by 6 months, including getting herself from her tummy to sitting up without assistance;  she hasn't hit seven months yet, but for the last two weeks she's been pulling herself to a stand on everything in sight (including, a couple of times, just the wall, with no fixtures of any kind to grab onto);  and a few days ago she got up the first stair without assistance.  Tonight she very intentionally and very carefully backed herself off the couch onto the floor--and onto her feet.  Then she smiled with pride and cooed to me about her accomplishment.

This is all well and good, I suppose. I'm grateful that she's healthy, strong and very curious.  But seriously, I think some wires got crossed somewhere.  I know so many mothers who anxiously await those moments when baby first crawls, stands, walks.  Mothers who burst with glee when those moments arrive sooner than anticipated.  I, on the other hand, am that mom who would genuinely love it if her babies just kind of hung out and laxadaisically, sort of, kind of started crawling around 8 or 9 months;  I would love to have a baby that would casually start to attempt walking on their own at 13 months or so.  Yet I keep getting these 6 month crawlers, 9.5 month walkers, and just generally busy little nuisances!  

I know its a silly thing to complain about (and if you're one of those moms that just wished your babies would crawl early, I apologize), and I do love my kids just as they are, but sometimes I wish I had a little more time before I started having to constantly trail my husband and other kids to make sure they haven't left anything that's likely to choke the baby lying around;  a little more time before I started finding little half-eaten crackers and slobbery, gnawed on carrots everywhere;  a little more time before my baby turned into a kid.  *sigh*

She does look awfully cute standing up in her crib, though. . . . . . . . . . . .


1 comment:

Becky said...

funny...i couldn't wait for luke to do everything and coaxed and coaxed and with charlie - i walked around with a toe to her chest - kicking her down. i would have been fine with a little lump for 6 extra months. i love baby lumps...nothing better...nothing easier. bb