Monday, August 17, 2009

Just a taste. . .

First day of school.  Real school.  Seven hour day school.  Pretty excited before we took off this morning.  Then came the drop off.  Got to the classroom, had teacher introduce herself and start asking questions in Spanish.  Realized she understood nothing and had no idea what was going on or who anyone was.  Panic setting in.  A few tears (though, bless her heart, she agreed to be brave and started wiping them away and told me goodbye).  
Passed two of her friends on our way out who are also in her class, and who also speak only English.  Gave me hope--let me choke back my own tears (no, mine never surfaced).  Let you know how it went, and will post more photos, after I pick her up this afternoon.  Could be a long year (or two).  Pray for us.   Especially Keila bug.

1 comment:

Becky said...

listen - i'm all pro-learning other languages at young ages and whatnot - but not in this sort of setting. do you worry that she will lose ground academically or feel isolated? i'm not trying to antagonize - i speak spanish myself - but as a mom, just curious what you're feeling right now. do you think this is good for all the kids as a whole? or good just for lindsay or towns such as? just lots and lots of discussion questions going through my head. good luck. bb