Monday, April 8, 2013

Moments

The house is clean, dinner is over, the kids are all playing happily together, with the dog and cat acting out parts in their pretend games.

My 2-year-old was busily hitting a mixing bowl, into which she'd placed a dish towel, with a spoon.  She then removed the dishtowel and placed it in the oven, telling me, "Mmmm. Pie. Cookin'"  I asked if her if she was going to share her pie with me.  She replied, "No, 'dem", pointing to her older siblings.  When her brother suddenly came running through the kitchen at top speed, she shouted, confidently and angrily, "PIE!! HOT! HOT!" while stamping her foot at him.  Apparently, a safe cooking environment is important to her.

I love these moments like this, of which I usually have quite a few each day.

Of course, there are also moments like yesterday, where Dylan was once again finding everything to do  except help his sisters clean up the mess they'd all made of the family room, and I heard Kylie holler tauntingly from across the room, "Hey Dylan! Boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider, girls go to college to get more knowledge!"  Yes, my four-year-old.  When this upset Dylan more than seemed reasonable to me, Kylie just raised her eyebrows, drew down her jaw and said, quite authoritatively, "Dylan, I am saying that to you because you aren't helping us clean up."  That seemed reasonable to me.

No comments: