Tuesday, June 10, 2008

No, it wasn't Willy Wonka!

Ok, so on my Facebook page, I have listed as one of my favorite quotes, "How far that little candle throws his beam!/So shines a good deed in a weary world", which comes from The Merchant of Venice by Shakespeare.  My brother told me that he liked it and had always thought it was a Willy Wonka quote.  When I explained that the original Willy Wonka movie was peppered with literary quotes, he asked if I knew where another one was from.  

Years ago, I compiled a list of quotes from the movie and where they originated.  Some of them I recognized immediately, others I had to scour for.  After some searching, I discovered I still had it.  Here are some quotes that are not, in fact, original to Willy Wonka:

"Where is fancy bread?
In the heart or in the head?"
-This is also from Merchant of Venice (Shakespeare)

"Is it my soul that calls upon my name?"
-Shakespeare (Romeo and Juliet)

"Oh, you should never, never doubt what nobody is sure about"
-Hilaire Belloc (a poem called The Microbe)

"Up the airy mountain
down the rushing glen
we dare not go a-hunting
for fear of little men."
-William Allingham (The Fairies)

"The suspense is terrible. I hope it'll last."
-Oscar Wilde (The Importance of Being Earnest)

"Across the desert lies the promised land!"
-paraphrase of Havelock Ellis

"All I ask is a tall ship and a star to sail her by."
-John Masefield (Sea Fever)

"Round the world and home again, that's the sailor's way!"
-William Allingham

"We are the music makers
and we are the dreamers of dreams"
-Arthur O'Shaughnessy (Ode)

"Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker"
-Ogden Nash

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever."
-John Keats

"Open your mouth a little wider when you speak"
-Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland)

I'm sure there are others I have missed, but these are all the ones I have listed.  I've never been able to find the ingenius line "If the good Lord had intended us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller skates" anywhere else, so perhaps it is indeed a Wonka original.  So there you have it.  Let me know if you know of any I haven't included!.

No comments: