Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Reason

". . .Jesus answered. . .To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world. . . ." ~John 18:37

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." ~John 3:16

"Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world. . ." ~3 Nephi 1:13

"There would be no Christmas if there had not been Easter.  The babe Jesus of Bethlehem would be but another baby without the redeeming Christ of Gethsemane and Calvary, and the triumphant fact of the Resurrection.
   "I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Eternal, Living God.  None so great has ever walked the earth.  None other has made a comparable sacrifice or granted a comparable blessing.  He is the Savior and the Redeemer of the world.  I believe in Him.  I declare His divinity without equivocation or compromise.  I love Him.  I speak His name in reverence and wonder.  I worship Him as I worship His Father, in spirit and truth.  I thank Him and kneel before His Beloved Son who reached out long ago and said to each of us, 'Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.' "
~President Hinkley

I think most women, after they become mothers, develop a greater appreciation for the Savior, the Atonement and our Father's love.  But I think most women also feel a greater connection to and appreciation for Mary--certainly physically.  As I sit here listening to music about the glorious night of His birth, still convalescing somewhat from giving birth myself, I feel a greater appreciation for her physical sacrifice--young, far from home and its comforts, pregnant for the first time, a world away from the modern comforts and conveniences that we have.  How scary and uncomfortable and difficult this time in her life must've been.

And yet, it is all the other stuff I appreciate more.  There's that new mom glow, where you just get sort of a natural high and nothing seems more wonderful than gazing at your sleeping child in peaceful contentment.  The scriptures tell us that Mary pondered. I'll bet.  When you are first holding that new child, finally able to see into that precious little face, you wonder about who they'll be and all the things they'll do--and you start thinking about who you will have to be and what you will have to do in order to be the mother that child deserves.  How much more joy and apprehension must there be then, when the tiny baby in your arms is literally the Son of God?  What must she have felt and thought as she wrapped her first born child, and rocked Him and listened to the angels' anthem?  How beautiful He must've been!  

"No ear may hear His coming, 
but in this world of sin
Where meek souls will receive Him
still the dear Christ enters in."
~Phillips Brooks

May we all remember and ponder the reason for all the presents and celebrations, for the sweetest season that engages the world in greater patience, kindness and love.  I will remember the words to that sweet Christmas song and make it anew my resolution for the coming year:  Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me.  Merry Christmas and much love to all.

1 comment:

Becky said...

thank you, becky...i needed to hear that today...refocused me on what I really needed to be thinking about and to let go off all the stuff I haven't gotten done and enjoy the moment...merry christmas...bb