Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Good Days

Do you ever have days as a parent where your children's joy is enjoyable for you in almost a selfish way?  Most of the time, seeing my children happy makes my heart light simply because they are happy.  But sometimes its because I can remember that feeling.  

Most nights I sing to each of my kids when I put them to bed.  First Dylan, then Keilana. I sit next to or on their beds and sing them some soft primary songs or hymns. Or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (the first song Keilana learned 3 years ago, it is still one of her favorites).  I completely loved growing up in a big family--there were kids everywhere, many that belonged to my parents and many that didn't--lots of good people and lots of love.  But I cherished the moments that I had my mother all to myself (truth be told, I still do).  I remember well nearly every time in my life that her attention was focused on me and that tenderness still means a lot to me.  So I pass it on and it simultaneously blesses myself and my kids.

A few days ago, the kids discovered the bathroom closet.  Oh, sure, its been there all along, but until now it was for storing diapers and wipes and extra towels.  Last week, it became a secret cave.  Now, I should come down hard on this current activity of one of them lying curled up on each shelf with the closet doors closed before they break my closet, but its just too funny to watch their mischievous delight and remember when Michael and I used to hide in closets, toy boxes and one time even the deep freeze (come to think of it as a rational adult, that was a horrendously bad idea!).  I was talking to Keilana the other day about how her aunts and uncles and I used to climb the hallway walls in Yaya's house when we were little like her.  Mom would scold us for getting our dirty, greasy fingers and feet all over her walls.  But now that I think back on it, we did it way too often for it to bother her that much.  I imagine she looked on with the same mixture of irritation and amusement that I feel when my 3 and 4 year old are hopping in and out of my bathroom closet--a combined 80 pounds hitting the shelves and floor over and over.

On the way to and from the school to pick up Keilana today, Dylan got soaked.  He managed to walk (read: half jump, half run) through every puddle on the way there, no matter its size.  I didn't have the heart to make him stop.  I love mud puddles.  Hawaii has the best mud puddles (I suppose there it would be more accurate to call them temporary ponds) and one of my favorite things about living there was the glorious rain and the monstrous puddles it left behind.  It probably wasn't the best thing for his pants and his shoes, but pants and shoes can be washed.  Puddle dancing only lasts so long before the sun comes out again.

I love my kids.  I've been having trouble focusing on the good stuff lately, as we have some jealousy/time management issues since little Kylie arrived.  But being a parent is almost as much fun as being a kid.  Some days, its even better ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sweet! It's good to let them be kids while they are kids. Children seem to be growing up faster and faster and they are lucky to have a mom that isn't so serious about life that she forgets what it's like!

Callie said...

It IS so easy to get bogged down with the day to day stuff with our children. Thank you for the reminder to enjoy the small things and to let them be kids! Kaden finger (read: body) painted today. I set him up outside with just a diaper on and let him go at it. He had so much fun. He was a huge mess at the end, but it was so worth it. His smiles and giggle were worth every minute it took to clean him up.

Sam and Kurtis said...

I know what you mean totally. i often think back of my childhood and the things i did and i remember those times my mom would get mad becuase she'd find the wet clothes i'd burryed in the bottom of my laundry from the creek that i wasn't supposed to be in. And think of me laughing at kyler becuase he gets into the dirt. on one hand i don't want him to eat it but watching him play and have so much fun in it just makes me smile. (even if it is my herbs)Love ya keep puddle jumping. I hope we can keep that child mind that that stuff is fun and not just think oh man we're gonna need another bath.