Thursday, February 12, 2009

Perspective

I'm 24 years old. I've given birth three times, always naturally with little to no complications, and welcomed 3 healthy, happy, normal, chubby babies who have become wonderful healthy, happy children. I have a generous, intelligent, attentive husband who adores me (really--for whatever love-deluded reasons, he thinks I'm totally fantastic) and is an excellent and doting father to my children.  I own my own home with enough room to grow for a while, within easy walking distance of work, school, parks and stores.  I have a very large and loving extended family and in-laws.  I have been blessed with marvelous friends near and far.  We only have one car, and in 4 years have never had any major problems with it.  My husband has a good job that he (usually) enjoys, that pays us well enough to live more comfortably than about 85% of people on the planet and to boot has allowed us to be a part of a unique and very special project that has served and will serve the community and, we believe, in its own small but important way is building Zion.  We have never, ever been hungry (unless we were intentionally fasting), our children have never gone without needed clothing, shoes, or medical care.  Though we aren't rich, we have enough money to play here and there and buy ourselves little presents now and again.  We are part of a ward that is growing rapidly through convert baptisms.  I have a worthy Priesthood holder in my home, and a temple-centered marriage.  I don't have to work in order for my family to be solvent--we may not have as many toys as some, but we have plenty and, though some days I want to throttle them, I wouldn't trade my time with my (currently napping) children for anything.  When I had to suddenly leave town on a family emergency, a sister who happened to be standing there when I got word took my kids without a moment's hesitation (or preparation!).  During a time of family grief, another sister remembered it was my birthday and showed up with flowers and a treat and just sat with me for a couple of hours, listening and encouraging.  When my baby was sick, two total strangers took time out of their weekend to meet us at the hospital and help administer to a little boy they'd never seen before and would likely never see again.  When I was very pregnant, very broke and very pedestrian, friends loaned me their car to get to doctor's appointments with ease, asking nothing in return.  When I have my babies, families come to our door with meals, gifts, flowers and loving thoughts.  My life is so easy.  My burdens are so light.  My blessings are abundant. 

No comments: