Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Drifting


This is Stephen. We were best friends growing up. No, we never dated (we always knew that we were ridiculously incompatible in that regard, even if no one else could see why). But between the ages of 10 and 18, I spent half my life with this guy. He's very, very smart, tremendously talented (he has a gift for writing that I always envied), hilarious, and in his better moments a touch of his mom's sweetness would come out in him.

We were pranksters and wanderers. Our off-the-wall creative brains bounced off each other well, sometimes to the hilarious detriment of those around us. We tended to exaggerate one another's subversive tendencies, a fact that seemed to both annoy and amuse the teachers at our tiny school. We were both mushy idealists wrapped in sarcastic armor.

Long story short, I haven't heard from him at all in 3 years. Barely at all in the year or two previous to that. By his own admission, he wasn't keeping in very steady contact with his Mom back then either. Doesn't sound like he is now.

When I see Kimimi (his mom and one of the sweetest people on the planet), there's this strange compulsion I can't quite describe. Its important to me that she knows I'm glad to see her, that I love her. She's always so to glad to see me, my kids and to hear about my life. The only thing we've ever had in common is Stephen. And neither one of us can mention him to the other. If it makes me sad and hurts me, I can only imagine the kind of heart break his mother must feel. But what is there to say?

Its such a strange thing to have someone be such an important part of your life for such a long time, and then to have them just fall out of your life completely. I'm rambling now, but there's a melancholy I can't put into words. . . .

3 comments:

...Laura... said...

I've had that happen to me with two different people now. It almost feels as though your best friend has died or something :(

I miss Stephen. I often wonder what he's up to. I also wonder if he's secretly reading our blogs and laughing at us! :) We should stalk him down someday... You know, when we have lots of free time and money!

Callie said...

It is sad when life changes and important people are no longer in your life. I've had it happen too. It is sad, but at the same time you must focus on the happy times of the past and your amazing present!

I miss Stephen too. I still laugh hysterically envisioning him falling out of the back of the Rampage with the spare tire attached to his foot. Oh good times!

Sam and Kurtis said...

i forget all the times he fell holding onto something. zucchine, a tire etc... I miss him so much too. i tell kurtis all the time about him because whenever i get talking about you i inevitably end up talking about stephen and laughing. we had such good times together burning marta's folders at the end of the semester burning things. i miss our lunches and the halarity of him being afraid of your dad. i often think of that lunch we had the last time i think i saw him. when you had keilana. Its weird to think that kurtis will probably never meet him. and even weirder that none of us will probably ever see him unless he becomes the next stephen speilberg and is all in the media. oh man now i'm depressed so i'm gonna stop writing. i hope laura is right and that he looks us up every once and a while so that we can all have some hope that maybe sometime we will hear from him.