Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Reveling in her cuteness



I got to looking at old pictures of Keilana today, and had to share one (I wanted to share about 50, but fortunately for all of you I haven't the time today to be resizing photos all afternoon).  I took this when she was about 13 or 14 months old.  How can you not love something that cute?My young women first found out that I was pregnant while we were at Girl's Camp, and one of them said, "Oh, I'm so excited.  You have the cutest babies."  Another one of them thought for a moment and then added, "You do have really cute babies."  I laughed and said, "Thank you, I do good work."  Now, I maybe just a teensy bit biased, but I do think I have awfully adorable babies and toddlers.  I mean, look at this kid--do you need more evidence than that? :)

Doug gave her a Father's Blessing last night after Family Home Evening to prepare her for starting school, and one of the things that it said was that she would continue to be a good companion and friend for Mommy and help Daddy, help us remember how to be good.  Those phrases really stuck out to me because she's been my little girl, but she's also been my little buddy.  And one of the most precious things about my children to me (and, admittedly, Keilana more than Dylan in some ways) is that they constantly remind me not just what is good, but how to be good.  On the occasion that I lose my patience and get loud, Keilana will say to me, not defiantly, but simply as a reminder of what the rules of the house are, "Mommy, stop yelling at me."  Nothing stops me in my tracks quite so quickly as that gentle reminder from my daughter.  If Doug and I start to argue--or, as is more often the case, get loud because we're excited about something and she thinks we're upset--she'll say, "Stop it!" until we've assured her we're not actually angry or fighting and lower our voices.  

For all her drama and hissy fits, the fact remains that her basic nature is that of a generous and charitable spirit.  She is a natural sharer (despite relatively recent trends with her brother) and is eager to please those she loves and just about anyone else.  She lives by positive reinforcement.  One time she came into the bedroom and asked, "Daddy, how I look?" and when he very goofily said, "Oh, just terrible," she took him seriously, hung her head and walked away crying.  But she recovered quickly and with a great big smile when he scooped her up and explained that he was teasing.  She is easily hurt, but never doubts you for a moment when you say you're sorry and tell her you love her.  

As I looked at pictures of her as a baby and toddler, it finally occurred to me that I'm very excited to be having another little girl!  With my first two, I had definite preferences and got them, but this time, I really didn't care.  Boy or girl--I've got a mostly complete wardrobe for either one, so whatever.  Even when we got the news, I was glad, but no big deal.  But now, looking through pictures and sorting through all the cute little pink and purple clothes, the girly shoes, the frilly dresses, I'm so glad its another girl in this oversized tummy!

1 comment:

Kirby and Logan Hoffer said...

you do have some pretty cute kidlets, but I have to say mine are cuter! =) although my opinion is a bit biased