Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Why I Love My Husband, pt. 3

(Although I think I deleted pt. 2 when I actually intended to delete a different post).

Seriously, is there anything that makes you fall more in love with your husband than those moments when you realize all over again what a good father he is?

I took Keilana to a primary activity this past Saturday.  Doug was still in bed when I left (he had a late night), but I left Dylan--awake and roaming the house unrestricted in his PJs--with him anyway.  When I got back about 20-30 minutes later, Dylan was nowhere to be found.  I headed up the stairs and what do I see?  Dylan is all snuggled up in the bed with Doug, watching Kung Fu Panda on the computer.  The funniest thing.  And he had been asking all week to watch Kung Fu Panda in bed with Daddy.  

Later that day, we were over at Katy's house, and Doug and Dylan started doing their Kung Fu moves in her livingroom, wrestling and stomping and pushing each other around.  I told Katy that this is why my mattress will not survive to its warranty date--it is as much wrestling arena as it is bed.

Yesterday when I picked Keilana up from school, she asked if she could call Daddy.  I gave her my phone so she could ask to stop by and see him at his office, but alas! he didn't answer.  She was heartbroken.  She misses him when he's gone a full work day!  Even better, one day we called and he didn't answer, but then called back a few minutes later to tell us he was there.  Between the kids and the outside noises, I didn't hear my cell phone.  When we got home and I saw that he called, I called him back and he was very, very disappointed that we'd already made it home and he missed us, because he wanted to see the kids.

Ever heard the country song, "Stealing Cinderella"?  If you like sappy stuff (even if you are a closet sap, not wanting to people to know about your sappiness), I would recommend it.  Its about a woman who's getting married and Daddy having a hard time with it because he still sees his little girl who's playing Cinderella.  Doug has forbade me to listen to it when he's around because it makes him cry.  I'm sure he'll be thrilled that I've told you all that.

I am so grateful to have the father for my children that I always wanted them to have.  He is actively involved in their lives, affectionate, playful, emotional, supportive.  Keilana always shows her outfit to Daddy in the morning before she leaves for school just because she knows that he'll tell her she's pretty.  Dylan approaches him with gleeful punches after he's given his cursory welcome home hug, because he knows Daddy will play with him.  

Doug has blessed all of our babies.  He has given Keilana a father's blessing and administered to both of them when sick.  He takes me to the temple and teaches his kids true principles.  More importantly, he shows them true principles.

What's not to love about that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Word! I'm so glad your happy.