Sunday, July 18, 2010

What 7 year itch?

7 years,
3,000+ miles,
8 moves,
2 degrees,
3 kids,
too many cheeseburger and Chinese food runs,
a few fights,
a lot of trials,
and too many blessings to count
later
it couldn't be better.

I love being married to this guy. How unromantic the beginnings of our relationship probably seem. But for two people so accustomed to stubbornly trusting our own judgment, I have never been and never will be more grateful for anything than I am that we trusted something bigger and other than ourselves. I am so glad we trusted the whisperings of the Spirit and embraced each other. I can't imagine having more fun with anyone else. I could go on and on and on about all the things I love about him (no, really, I could--pages and pages), but I'll leave my take on marriage at this:

Laugh, a lot--but never at each other.
Trust. And be always worthy of trust.
Never excuse bad behavior. But never run your spouse down to anyone.
Be fiercely loyal.
Learn to speak each other's languages,
and then respond to your spouse
the way they want to be responded to,
not the way you want to be responded to.
Never, ever, ever give any reason
for your love to doubt your loyalty
and affection.
Love your kids. Make them the center of your world.
Don't take a second for granted.
Seconds slip away faster with every passing year.
Come what may, and love it.

No comments: